August 31, 2010

Vegetable Soup

When I returned from a road trip this summer, I decided to be a vegetarian for a week. Reason? Well, I ate quite a few diner French fries and Kansas City BBQ. I haven't done anything like this since high school. Knowing I need to save for school supplies, this would be a way to save a few dollars for the week. This soup is great with fresh summer vegetables. While on the road trip, I visited my friend Nick. He had a great garden - best one I've seen in a long time. So, the zucchini in this one - were from him! This does call for chicken broth - so, I guess I cheated a little...

4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 Small Onion, Diced
1 Red Bell Pepper, Seeded, Cut into 1"x 1/2" Slices
5 Plum Tomatoes, Halved and then Thickly Sliced
1 Beefsteak Tomato, Halved and then Thickly Sliced
1 Very Large Zucchini or 3 Small Ones, Sliced 1/4" and Halved
5 Large Garlic Cloves, Minced
2 Potatoes, Peeled and Diced
3 Cups Chicken Broth (I use Better Than Bullion)
Kosher Salt, Ground Pepper

1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Cup Basil Leaves
Salt, Pepper

In a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium, heat 1 Tbs. olive oil. Cook onion and pepper about 10 minutes. Remove and place in a large bowl. In same pot, heat 1 more Tbs. olive oil. Cook tomatoes for 8 minutes. Move to the onion and pepper bowl. In same pot, heat 1 more Tbs. olive oil. Cook zucchini 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in cooked onions, peppers and tomatoes. Move 1 1/2 cups of vegetables to a bowl. Set the bowl aside. Add the diced potatoes and broth. Simmer for 30 minutes. Season with kosher salt and ground black pepper.

In a blender, process the vegetable oil, basil, 2 large pinches of kosher salt and a bit of ground pepper. Blend on high for 20 seconds.  Move to a small bowl.

Using a hand blender (God's gift to avoiding traditional blenders!), blend the soup in the pot. Incorporate saved vegetables. Serve soup in bowls and drizzle with the olive oil basil mixture.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds Delicious!!!!

Jamie Cooked This said...

Thank you! I hope you try it... it was really good. :)

adechagas said...

This sounds really yummy! I am going to try it with veggie broth - will let you know how it goes!