September 02, 2010

The Nested Egg

My pictures don't do any justice to how wonderful this taste. If you adore hash browns, this is great one pan way to start the day. Crispy potatoes and warm egg yolk make a great pair. While I list arugula as an ingredient, you can use chopped spinach. In case you weren't aware from the other posts, I needed to use up my arugula. This is a great source of protein and since it's homemade, really good for you!

1 Egg
2 Tbsp Cheddar Cheese
1 Potato, Peeled & Shredded
Arugula, Handful
Kosher Salt & Ground Pepper
Olive Oil

Crack egg into a small dish. Be careful not to break the yolk. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Brush bottom of skillet with olive oil. Place potatoes in a small flat mound in the center of the pan. Using your fingers or a spoon, make a little well for the egg. Place your greens around the well. Slowly pour in your egg. Gently sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Add a bit of salt and ground pepper to taste. Place lid on skillet and cook for 4 to 6 minutes (depending on how you like your egg. I prefer my egg runny, so I get away with 4 minutes). Enjoy!

No comments: