September 28, 2010

Roasted Chicken & Squash Soup

Two things this week - autumn arrived and my husband was ill. After downing a bottle of Nyquil each night, I thought he might want something a little tastier. Soups are my favortite thing to create this time of year - however, there were many a bad bowl over the years. Yet my man, even with a cold, serves as an excellent ginuea pig. It also helps that I modified this from a cooking magazine to our taste. I usually make major changes to what I read or see on television. I consider it my base or launching pad. When we first started dating, I told him, not under any circumstances are you to tell me you "love" a dish I prepare - when you really "hate" it! Don't be nice - tell me the truth! If he didn't, I would be apt to make it again. Yuck for him! A lesson to live by... and very glad I married my second opinion. This soup combines juicy chicken thigh meat and roasted squash. Keep all your diced ingredients to a medium size.  

1 Medium Butternut Squash, Peeled, Seeded, Diced
1 Medium Yellow Onion, Diced
4 Chicken Thighs, Skin On
2-3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Cups Better Than Bullion Chicken Broth
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
Lemon, Cut Into Wedges and Zested
Kosher Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a large cookie sheet, toss chicken, onion, and squash with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Spread out in a single layer and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Let chicken cool on a cutting board. Add vegetables to a soup pot with chicken broth, zest and spices. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. With a potato masher break up vegetables a bit until thick. Remove skin and bones from chicken. Cut meat into small pieces and add to soup.  To serve, ladle into bowl and squeeze a slice of lemon over top.

No comments: